If you are a young adult, chances are that you have a cell phone that you use to keep in contact with family and friends. Unfortunately, with the increase in cell phone usage over the last decade, more and more people are becoming addicted to looking at their phones. In fact, people who own a cell phone touch it on average 2,617 times a day! Young adults tend to use their phones to search the Internet, keep in contact with friends, play games, and post to social media. If these behaviors become excessive, there is a need to take action. Read on to learn about the dangers of young adult smartphone use, how to recognize a potential problem, and what to do if you believe one is present.
The Dangers Of Young Adult Smartphone Use
There are many dangers of young adult smartphone use. A phone is a necessity for you if they need to make contact with someone or if an emergency arises. For some, it is a part of their job. But, when looking at a cell phone takes over their life, and pushes other activities to the wayside, addiction is a possibility. Here are some disturbing results that arise from excessive cell phone use:
- Digital eye strain occurs from looking at a digital screen for several hours. This strain includes itchy or burning eyes, blurred vision, eye fatigue, and headaches.
- Neck problems settle in. This phenomenon is called “text neck” and is caused by looking down at a device for long durations of time.
- An increase in illnesses takes place. Many phones harbor E.coli bacteria, which can be transferred to the mouth or nose, causing fever, vomiting, and diarrhea.
- Using a phone while driving causes accidents. Texting and driving are just as dangerous as drinking and driving.
- Male infertility is a genuine possibility. Excessive young adult smartphone use could decrease sperm count, motility, and viability.
- Sleep becomes affected. Many who use cell phones excessively find they have sleep disorders or fatigue at random times during the day. Young adult smartphone use before bed alters sleep quality because of the bright light illuminating the screen. It makes it harder for someone to fall asleep after looking at a cell phone in the dark as well.
Signs Of Addiction Caused By Young Adult Smartphone Use
Some signs indicate young adult smartphone use is out of control. Being aware of these signals helps to retain treatment promptly if necessary. Be on the lookout for:
- Agitation when you’re not able to look at their phone
- Loss of a sense of time due to excessive phone use
- A need for the newest phone, more applications, or more time to view them
- Depression or anxiety that seems to be alleviated when looking at a cell phone
Get Addiction Treatment Today
If you believe you are using your phone too much, treatment is an option to help you stop addictive behavior. Red Oaks Recovery is situated in Ashville, NC, and tends to male clients between 18-34 who require assistance in dealing with an addiction. Some of our programs include:
- Family program
- Holistic services
- Trauma-informed care
- Dual diagnosis treatment
- Gardening and wilderness therapy
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Dialectical behavioral therapy
If you are interested in finding out more about Red Oak Recovery and the treatment programs available for young adult smartphone use, give us a call at your convenience. Reach out to our facility at 866.457.7590.